joi, aprilie 20, 2006

Everyone's favorite gypsy... beautiful Carmen

It was yet another lovely evening at the opera starring my favorite tenor, Romeo Soleno, playing Don Jose (he's the cutie in the suit behind Carmen). Of all the lovely things in Cluj Napoca, the opera is by far the best thing going on. The performances are top-notch, accessible, affordable, and exhibit a wealth of talent. Maybe not Romania's best kept secret anymore...
Here is a shot of the stage where it all begins at Teatrul National here in Cluj and (above)the exquisite cast of Carmen. I have lost count of how many operas I have seen since I have been here and have yet to see one distasteful to me. Madama Butterfly was the most emotionally moving (Ah, Romeo). However, Carmen has always held a special place in my heart. If it wasn't for my grandfather's insistence on making my sweet sister and me sit through hours of our precious childhood summer vacations listening to it, I never would have known the total sensory experience and beauty of opera (although I didn't fall in love until many years later). Last night marked the first time I have seen any opera three times and it was on the night of my late grandfather's birthday and it was Carmen. Precious...

Etichete: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Trimiteți un comentariu

<< Home